IndieFolio along with the students, professors and alumni of école intuit.lab were treated to a Mumbai premiere screening of Design Disruptors, a documentary film about design that had inputs from designers at some of the biggest firms to have utilised digital design like Google, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Air BnB, MailChimp and more.
Prior to the screening we got to see some of the design work that the students had on display. It was quite nice to be treated to what students are designing now because they are the ones who will probably go on to design the next big thing on the horizon of technology.
We were very happy to see the turnout was pretty great and the people of école intuit.lab were very hospitable and eager to see the film themselves. The trailer for the film had gotten us very excited to begin with and you can see it for yourself below.
A few points from this documentary really stood out for us that we will implement in our own products. These are to be kept in mind for ever designer out there:
- “Everything is designed. Few things are designed well.” This quote by Brian Reed is echoed in sentiment by many members of the design community. They say that great design is still quite elusive and one has to really push hard to design something that is truly great.
- Once you think of a design as your baby and aren’t willing to change anything about it is when you’ve lost the design game. Design is about changing with the way that society changes, it’s as much about making an impact as it is about evolving. The designs of so many things have changed again and again and again because design keeps asking how things can be better.
- One of the differences between design and art is that art asks questions but design provides solutions. Art doesn’t have to make sense but design always has to make sense, it has to click and resonate within our minds as quickly as possible.
- Design is not just about looking good, it’s about doing something good that makes people happy. While a lot of people will think that design is just about making something look nice, it’s actually about the whole package that comes along. A good design that has evolved should feel inviting to a new user while maintaining the same values an older user felt.
We also had a little discussion with some of the students out there to gauge their reactions from the film.
- Students felt like most of what works well today in the world has already been designed for them but they are always on the lookout to see who can do it better.
- They felt like the film mentioned a lot of things that they already thought about and learn. However, they did mention that here it was all collected in one place.
- When asked if they would want to keep this film as a resource for reference to figure out solutions to problems that crop up when designing something, they said they wouldn’t want the whole film, just the parts that seemed most relevant to how they felt about design.
To thank them for their input, IndieFolio gave each person who participated in the discussion a notebook to draw and design the future in. We hope to see many more designers from the school on our platform showcasing their work and being discovered by the next big Design Disruptors in India. A big thank you to école intuit.lab for inviting us to their screening. To see what you can learn about design from the courses they have available, click their logo below.